I was planning on updating my blog every Sunday, as that's when I have been doing my longest run of the week. Well, a lot has happened since my last (and first!) entry.
It started on 26th March. Myself, Mr Lawson and our charming off spring were excitedly packing for a night away at Barnsdale Hall Hotel in Rutland. It was a surprise celebration for Mr Lawson Senior's 60th birthday. His lovely wife Vanessa had arranged for us to meet up at the hotel, have a nice lunch and a relaxing evening in a lovely 3 bedroom apartment set inside the hotel. Alongside the beatiful surroundings of Rutland Water, we had use of the swimming pool, gym and spa facilities. I was really looking forward to perhaps having a leisurely jog around the water ( not all the way round, I believe it is 27 miles and I'm so not ready for that yet) followed by a gentle swim, maybe a bit of spa time, catching up with the family over a bit of - hard earned - birthday cake and a glass of wine.
Instead, I spent the evening sat on a plastic chair with a plastic cup of coffee listening to Mr Lawson jnr's morphine induced ramblings in the emergency short stay ward of Peterborough City hospital. Whilst I have to confess to feeling a little sorry for myself for missing out on the much anticipated treats, my poor hubby was in agony following the onset of acute pancreatitis, so I wouldn't have traded places with him in a hurry! A thought should also be spared for the birthday boy and his wife, whose day will forever be associated with ambulances, hospitals and anxiety. Fortunately they were on hand to look after the children, who seemed to have a good time, in spite of the disappearing act perfomed by their father early on in the proceedings. The ambulance was summoned just afer my unsuspecting father in law had entered the room where we were waiting with some other family members to begin the celebrations. There was just enough time to yell 'Surprise!' to have a quick slug of bubbly and a tasy little canape before the green jumpsuited duo arrived to cart poor Mark away.
Following a 5 day stay in hospital and further recovery time at home, I am pleased to report that Mr Lawson Jnr is feeling much better. And can I be permitted to say that if you are planning on being taken ill on a weekend break any time soon, I can highly reccommend that you do it at Barnsdale Hall. Not only is the location beautiful, but the staff were fabulous too!
Anyway, as you can imagine, all that tooing and froing to hospital put a bit of a dent in my training schedule for a while. I didn't get back out until Mothers Day, when I dropped back a little to 3 miles. I was apprehensive about going backwards but over the last 2 weeks have got back to where I was before the incident.
Things I have learned: The importance of hydration.
I usually run in the morning, after I have had a cup of coffe and a glass of water. A couple of weeks ago, I ran at 2 in the afternoon on my 3 mile route. About 3/4 of a mile from home, I had to stop and walk. I was sweating, my head was banging and I just couldn't make another step. I staggered home feeling completely gutted. I sat down to figure out what I had done differently.
My conclusion was that I had gone through the day having had nothing more to drink than my morning glass of water and coffee, therefore dehydration was to blame. I felt much better having a reason for my 'failure'.
I have since struggled to get the balance quite right. It is quite difficult to ensure that you have taken on enough liquid before you go without guzzling so much that you need a wee 5 minutes in! I am getting the hang of it now, but have bought myself one of those bottles with the hand grip through the middle so I can slurp on the go. Strangely enough it was one purchase I was a little reluctant to make as I always thought the types that you see running with one of those were all show and no substance. I stand corrected!
I saw Bear Grylls on telly the other day. He ripped the head off a humungous, deadly snake and took a bite out of its body which bizzarely didn't put me off him, quite the opposite if I'm being honest. Anyway, he was saying that even just 2% dehydration can impair body performance by up to 20% so there you go. Lesson learned!
I haven't done much on the fundraising front for a few weeks, I am waiting for August and then I will begin in earnest. So my total still stands at a very respectable £120. Just in case you are feeling flush, link to page below! Until next week folks JL x
http://beatms.mssociety.org.uk/netcommunity/runningforsparkles
No comments:
Post a Comment