Sunday, 2 October 2011

Where Will It All End? (And WTF is going on with the weather?!)

As it's been almost 2 months since my last confession, I will try and compress it all as much as possible.  So, what's been happening then..

Went on holiday in August, had a lovely week in Woolacombe with the family.  Had big plans for long runs and lots of hill training (it's very hilly there!) but somehow it just didn't happen.  I have excuses though, and some of them are even legit.  There are NO paths on them there country lanes.  And they are very bendy lanes so I really did feel that it would be unsafe to go running down them.  A couple of times me and mum walked down to the beach, once I even left her in a cafe and had a run along the aforementioned beach.  It is very beautiful and I did enjoy it but I only managed just short of 3 miles.  It was exhausting!  And that lovely sister of mine had me on the red wine the night before so I was not exactly in tip-top condition for a run of any kind.  The other excuses all revolve around my sister and wine so I won't bother offering them as, quite frankly, they are just crap.

Following holiday, I was so cross with myself for not sticking to my training plan that I went out for a great long run the very next day after we got home.  It was tough but I just needed to prove to myself that I hadn't undone all my hard work in one week off.  Then I got poorly and had another enforced rest.  Then we went away for a weekend to Manchester in a very nice hotel that didn't have a gym (well, it did but it was a mile up the road. How inconvenient!) so it kind of went by the wayside that weekend too.  And then something kind of weird happened to my brain.  I got really scared.  I was desperate to go out for a run but at the same time I was really worried that after being so slack I wouldn't be able to do it anymore.  Silly really, now I look back on it.  But I went in to panic mode.  And every day that went by when I hadn't run I just felt worse and worse.  I must admit I did find it difficult when all of a sudden it was dark at 6 in the morning and then by 6.30 at night.  This did make a difference, I may have said that most people think I'm bonkers for running anyway, so trying to get someone to go out with me of an evening so I am not running alone in the dark is bloody impossible! 

Anyway, I made a date with my trainers for a 3 mile run, just to get me back in to it.  It did the job, I really enjoyed it.  I have since managed to fit in most of what I was supposed to be doing.  It's just a matter of adjusting things so that I can get out in daylight hours.  This has been made easier by the fact that my littlest little darling has now started at nursery.  Although I did have a bit of a tear the first time I left her there all day, she is loving it and I am starting to appreciate a bit of freedom in the daytime. 

Last weekend I did a local 10k race.  I didn't break any world records but certainly learned some valuable lessons.  Like it really isn't necessary to wear a jacket.  Warming up.  There, the clue is in the wording isn't it?? I did it with a friend of mine who has recently started running too (she can't come with me of an evening, she lives too far away ok??!) we do have a fairly different pace though so I ended up running with a lady who offered me the benefits of her 11 years experience.  She appeared to be quite impressed at my pace given that I have only just started and encouraged me to join a local running club.

The local running club then.  Actually, there isn't one in our town.  There are some in the surrounding areas but being realistic, I am unlikely to drive out for 25 mins on a dark and snowy Thursday night to go for a trot with some like-minded nutters.  The only thing there is in Spalding is a Triathlon Club.  So I'm thinking that's not for me.  I hate swimming.  I only ever go on my bike to obtain more alcohol when the car is 'not an option'.  I looked on their website anyway.  Apparently, they are happy to accept members that only want to train in one discipline.  OK, so it's a possibility then. I contacted them and said I only wanted to run.  They said that's fine, come along to a session and see how you like it!  Well I haven't. Not yet anyway.  Why?

I am a bit nervous going anywhere new by myself.  Overcomable.

I am quite convinced they will all be elite athletes and I will be by far the slowest person they have ever seen.  Not likely.  I have lived in this town for 11 years and 2 months.  The amount of people I have come accross in that time that could possibly be leading a double life as a world champion triathlete = very few.

I am positive then, that when the above turns out to be untrue, that they will all be large males and uber competitive.  I know that this is not true.  The lady that I conversed with from the club is, in fact, a lady and I have been assured that there is a good mix of ages and abilities.  Hm.

I am not sure I want to get all serious about it.   I am happy running by myself. I really enjoy it.  But could I be better?  Do I want to be better?  I don't think it would take much to uncover the competitive streak that I could have sworn I did not have.  Now, when I say competitive streak, I do only mean competing with myself.  I have definitely decided that I am going to carry on running beyond next week.  (Next week, by the way, is when my big run is.  But I am not thinking about that right now!) I think that entering races is a good way to keep your motivation going.  I am too much of a pushover to think that I am going to run at least 3 times a week without the fear of finishing last in a race to keep me going.  So, if I am going to keep entering a few, I have to keep training.  Given that there are only so many distances you can cover (unless you go in to Ultra Running, which I honestly can't see myself doing!) I would definitely want to keep beating my own times. So my best chance of doing that would mean joining a club and training with people who know what they are doing and how to be the best you can. Because I am incapable of pushing myself.  If it gets a bit difficult, I just slow down.  I need someone to push me. So I think maybe I might want to get a bit more serious about it.  After all, if it stops being fun, I could always stop.  Or maybe I could try my hand at a bit of biking or swimming.  Cos lets face it, at my age my knees with only thank me!  Which brings me back around to the Triathlon thing.  Its been bugging me for a few weeks now.  I think it's an itch that I may have to scratch.  One day.  When I am sniffing around for a new challenge. As I have no doubt that I will be.

So, the race is only a week away. I am fairly happy that I have done enough to stumble over the finish line.   So what am I expecting?  Shall I put my neck on the line and tell you what I am expecting to achieve?  Ah why not. 

If I had carried training at the rate I was pre-holiday, I would have been going for a 2hr finish.  As it is, I will be fairly happy if I finish in less than 2 hours 30 min.  If I can do less than 2 hours 15 I will be absolutely over the moon.  I guess it all depends on how things are on the day. I've been lucky and not got injured, with the exception of a black toenail.  I got that on the long run after returning from hols.  I wasn't aware of it hurting at the time, but in bed the next night I could definitely feel a bit of discomfort.  I took off the black polish I had on at the time but one of my toes remained black.  I was almost a bit proud!  Anyway, the end of that story is that I went back to the trainer shop to ask them if there was anything I could do about it.  The nice man took my offending shoe and re-tied the laces in a fashion I have never seen before.  There you go, he says, try that.  I was slightly astounded to find that it seems to have done the trick.  (If you are interested, he made some weird loops at the top hole of the shoe which holds my foot towards the back of the trainer instead of it sliding downwards and hitting the front.)

As for the fund raising, it's gone fantastically well.  I have a justgiving text thingy set up, which is at about £30 quid so far.  Lots of friends and family have been unbelievably generous and my webpage is now up to £477.  Contributions through my WeightWatchers meetings and playground friends are now at £70.  Think thats £577 and still going.  So well done me and thanks to everyone for each and every penny!

So, wish me luck for Sunday and cross your fingers that this FREAKY weather has disappeared.  If it is still this hot I would add on about 2 hours to my anticipated finish time. And I'm not kidding.  Apparently though, it's really good for the pumpkins.  Makes them nice and orange. Which is always good. If you are a pumpkin.  Which I am not. 

I say the weather is freaky, it is.  Don't get me wrong, I love the sunshine and the warmth but I am completely spooked by the fact that they are selling mince pies in the supermarket whilst I am wearing shorts and flip flops.  This is not Bondi people.  It's just not right!!

No comments:

Post a Comment